Sunday, 28 February 2016

Learning Journey - Making Progress - Week 5, Term One

After last Monday's meeting with my fellow inquiry people I had to come back down to earth and face my normal working week. Had a great week juggling the many aspects of classroom teaching and trying to find the time to organise my inquiry. Thanks to Dorothy I made an appointment to visit Sommerville Special School in Auckland - and here I am! I was greeted at the door by a dedicated and wonderful teacher called Donna. She and I sat with a SLT for a few hours discussing assessment, requirements and how their school meets the needs of the Ministry and other agencies. I left with new found focus and lots to process and think about. It is wonderful to see the many different ways in which we can assess these students progress and learning. It is all about changing our pedagogy and practice to focus on what the children can do and then teach them the skills needed to make the next learning steps. Donna sent me some interesting reading about "Narrative Assessment" and how we can use this as a tool to help our children reach their individual goals. It's so important to take the time to read as much as possible so we can talk about the pros and cons of how we assess and why. At Sommerville they have literacy and numeracy rubrics to assess their children in a variety of ways - that are measurable and suited to the many different ways our special needs children learn. I have been given the names Sally Clendon and Jane Farrall to research. Sally is a SLT who talks a lot about building literacy and getting the communication flowing through an enriched literacy programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment